Epoxy striping is a popular solution for warehouses and distribution centers looking to create a safe and organized environment while using a durable material that can withstand heavy usage. It involves applying a two part epoxy resin paint in the form of stripes or lines on the warehouse floor to mark specific areas such as: safety walkways, equipment traffic lanes, work zones, and safety zones. In this article, we will discuss the various uses of epoxy striping and the best ways to design, install, and maintain the stripes to ensure they last.
Uses of Epoxy Striping
- Traffic lanes: Epoxy striping is commonly used to mark traffic lanes within a warehouse or distribution center. This helps to organize the flow of people, vehicles, which in turn reduces congestion & and prevent accidents.
- Pedestrian Walkways: Epoxy striping can be used to create pedestrian walkways, separate from vehicle traffic. This helps to promote safety for employees walking through the warehouse or distribution center.
- Staging Lanes: Epoxy striping can also be used to mark staging lanes where products are prepared for shipping. This can help to prevent congestion and ensure that products are properly sorted and loaded onto trucks. These areas tend to benefit the most from epoxy striping due to heavy forklift activity turning, braking, and accelerating on the stripes.
- Bulk Storage: Epoxy striping can also be used to designate specific areas for bulk storage of products. This can help to organize the warehouse and make it easier to locate products when needed. If you want the stripes down for a longer time, epoxy is an excellent choice.
- Work zones: Epoxy striping is also used to create designated work zones within the warehouse or distribution center. This can help to improve efficiency, reduce errors, reduce common warehouse workplace accidents and increase productivity.
- Safety zones: Epoxy striping is used to create safety zones within the warehouse or distribution center, such as areas where forklifts are not allowed, or where employees should wear safety gear, striping around fire risers, barriers around electrical panels & equipment, and so on.
Best ways to design, install, and maintain epoxy striping
Design: The design of the epoxy striping should be carefully planned to ensure that it meets the specific needs of the warehouse or distribution center. Also, because epoxy striping is so heavy duty, you will want make sure you are happy with the design layout prior to installation. Consider the type of traffic that will be using the area, the size of the vehicles, and the volume of traffic. It is important to choose colors that are easily visible and that contrast with the surrounding floor, yellow is most commonly used. There are many design professionals that are excellent at this work. If you don’t have a contact, first check with your racking contractor because they often have a designer on staff. Also, we would be happy to put you touch with one.
Installation: The installation of epoxy striping should be done by a professional who has experience in applying epoxy paints. Many stripers do not use epoxy material or have little experience. The floor should be properly prepared before application to ensure adhesion to the warehouse polished floor. Shot blasting, in our opinion, is the best way to prepare the concrete prior to spaying the epoxy. The epoxy paint can be rolled on or can be applied using a striping machine to ensure consistency, thick coat, and accuracy. Different techniques may be used under certain circumstance. Epoxy can be applied directly to the concrete but will not adhere as well as when shot blasted prior to applying.
Maintenance: Proper maintenance is essential to ensure that the epoxy striping lasts as long as possible. This includes regular cleaning and inspection to identify any areas of wear and tear. Any damaged or faded striping should be repaired or repainted to maintain visual characteristics, prevent accidents, and maintain a safe working environment.
Choose High-Quality Materials: The quality of the epoxy paint and other materials used for the installation of the striping can have a significant impact on the longevity and appearance of the striping. Choose high-quality materials that are designed for use in warehouses and distribution centers.
Regular Cleaning: Regular cleaning of the epoxy striping can help to maintain its appearance and extend its lifespan. Use a mild detergent and avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the striping. Scrubber machines work well. Hydro-Jetting your stripes can also give them a fresh look.
Equipment Operator Training: Proper equipment operation is essential to prevent damage to the epoxy striping. Encourage drivers to avoid sudden stops, sharp turns, and rapid acceleration on top of the stripes. Also ensure that heavy equipment is properly maintained to prevent leaks and spills that can diminish the stripe integrity.
In conclusion, epoxy striping is a cost-effective and practical solution for warehouses and distribution centers looking to create a safe and organized environment. Proper design, installation, and maintenance are key to ensuring that the striping lasts as long as possible and continues to provide the desired benefits. By following these guidelines and tips, warehouse and distribution center managers can create a safe and efficient working environment for their employees and customers.
If you have questions or comments for the author about this article, please email email@example.com
TCI Striping is a full-service professional contractor specializing in Warehouse Striping and Distribution Center Services based in Southern California. With over 40 years of experience, we have earned a reputation as a trustworthy commercial and light industrial contractor with an extensive range of capabilities, qualified experience, specialized training, specialty equipment, and a workforce that pays careful attention to detail.
We have consistently provided OSHA-compliant floor markings, warehouse striping, barcode sign installation, bulk inventory signage, safety railing systems, and distribution center striping for four decades. At TCI, our work is guaranteed and has been tested over time. We are continuously committed to delivering excellent warehouse services in Riverside, Norco, Corona, Ontario, Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley, San Bernardino, Hemet, San Jacinto, Los Angeles, Long Beach, City of Commerce, City of Industry, Perris, Redlands, Eastvale, Chino, Banning, Beaumont, Bakersfield, Sacramento, Tracy, Visalia, Vacaville, Fresno, Apple Valley, Lebec, Arvin, Tejon, Modesto, Stockton, Lathrop, San Jose, Fremont, Union City, and beyond. Please contact us for inquiries or to request a quote.